I made a chocolate ganache out of Cadbury's Old Gold Dark Chocolate which has 70% content of cocoa. It was luxuriously rich and delicious. The only thing is it isn't sweet, so if you prefer your ganache a little sweeter, you'll have to add a bit of sugar, or use a chocolate which has less cocoa content.
Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache
200g Cadbury's Old Gold Dark Chocolate (70% cocoa)
1 cup (250ml) whipping cream
- break chocolate into small pieces
- melt chocolate in a bowl fitted over a pan of simmering water
- allow chocolate to melt without stirring
- when completely melted, remove chocolate from heat
- allow to cool slightly
- beat cream into chocolate until well mixed
The consistency of the ganache hardens upon cooling. Therefore, if you want to cover a cake by pouring fondant over, you can do so while it is still slightly warm.
If you want to pipe the ganache however, you can refrigerate it awhile for it to firm up. Be sure to place a layer of cling film over the surface of the ganache to prevent a crust forming while in the fridge.
Trust me, if you love dark chocolate, you'll simply adore this!