Monday, December 28, 2009

Chocolate Rum and Chocolate Orange Cake Balls


I had plenty of chocolate cake scraps leftover from my snowman cakes, so I decided to make cake balls. The first thing that came to mind was chocolate rum cake balls. Then I had to think of a child-friendly alternative for the many sweet-toothed kids in the extended family, all home for the holidays. Thus I decided to go with chocolate orange cake balls as well.


The chocolate rum cake balls and chocolate orange cake balls were served on this funky "Santa on a tropical holiday" serving platter. They were for ourselves, our guests, and also the carolers who were coming around.

I made them by feel and taste, so I unfortunately cannot provide the exact measurements of the ingredients that went into these cake balls. Anyhow, I'll list out what I used and you can make them according to your personal taste.



Chocolate Rum Cake Balls
  • chocolate cake scraps
  • icing sugar
  • cocoa powder
  • raisins soaked in rum
  • more rum
  • melted unsalted butter

Chocolate Orange Cake Balls
  • chocolate cake scraps
  • melted unsalted butter
  • icing sugar
  • cocoa powder
  • orange oil
Basically you just dump everything into a big bowl and mash it up with your hands until it becomes a soft dough which holds its shape. If it is too wet, you can add more cocoa powder and sugar. If it is to dry, you can add more melted butter. Refrigerating the dough for about half an hour also helps firm up dough that is too soft.

Then, just roll the dough into balls and coat them with cocoa powder, icing sugar, crushed nuts or even sprinkles. Simple to make, yet decadently delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails